|Job Number - J0214-0033 - Full Time
||Chief Legal Officer & Corporate Secretary
||Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Posting Expiry Date (dd/mm/yyyy):
||Moneris’ vision: To be the leading provider of high-value innovative payment solutions.
As Canada’s largest provider of payment processing solutions, Moneris offers innovative payment services for over 350,000 merchants in every industry segment. Moneris provides the hardware, software and systems needed to improve business efficiencies and manage point-of-sale transactions.
Why work at Moneris?
We offer an innovative, high growth, fast-paced environment which can help you develop and prosper in your career. We offer an attractive Total Rewards compensation and benefits package that rewards excellence and retains top performers.
What Moneris offers you:
We will continually invest in the people and technologies that drive cost efficiencies and provide superior payment solutions to our customers. With that in mind, we strive to keep our employees challenged, satisfied and confident which contributes to the overall success of Moneris.
Are you ready for the Moneris difference? We are looking for you to:
• Join a dynamic work environment
• Apply your creativity
• Work for a company that operates with integrity
• Be challenged
• Work in a team-focused environment
• Have Fun
Position Title: Chief Legal Officer & Corporate Secretary
Lead the Legal Department through formulating and carrying out the approved strategy including overseeing appropriate corporate legal services, overseeing contract language, providing Group consultation, supervising legal investigations and serving as the Corporate Secretary for all legal entities of Moneris Solutions.
Key Activities Include (but are not limited to):
- Effectively manage and drive legal projects to completion
- Provide leadership and oversight of the company and its various legal affairs, including day-to-day management of deal flow and related transactions
- Provide guidance to key stakeholders within the Company regarding provincial, state and federal privacy laws; consumer protection laws; regulatory compliance, employee relations and other applicable laws
- Provide advice on a variety of legal issues including IP rights, licensing, employment, insurance, banking, merchant processing and other corporate matters
- Leverage expertise to communicate legal risks, participate in corporate transactions, including M&As
- Oversee corporate governance matters and serve as Company’s corporate secretary and advise the Board of Directors on same
- Work with external legal counsel, maintaining legal services within budget
- Execute corporate legal strategy by organizing the best mix of internal and external legal services through the balance of equity and cost
- Provide general corporate legal advice and presenting to the Executives, boards and its committees to optimize decision making
- Manage all litigation
- Plan, allocate and manage financial budget by anticipating expenditures, accurately forecasting resource needs/costs and properly accounting for expenses to meet requirements and achieve fiscal responsibility
- Oversee contract language to ensure contracts are up-to-date
- Build strong external relationships by networking and communicating with external attorneys and business experts, share legal expertise and best practices and foster mutual support
- Serve as top legal expert during complex issue resolution by identifying and utilizing innovative litigation strategies and collaborating with internal and external legal support network to build strong case for organization and protect against corporate liability
- Advise on legal matters involving website development and operations; troubleshoot legal issues over a wide variety of websites
- Drive corporate compliance by managing whistleblowing occurrences and other investigations to successfully mitigate potential employee discrimination, wrongful discharge, alleged misconduct, corruption, and other legal exposures
- Lead with integrity, in personal work behaviors, decision-making, contributions and interpersonal interactions;
- Law Degree and current membership with the Law Society of Ontario
- Payment, financial services and technology related experience
- 15+ years’ experience (combination of law firm and corporate environments)
- 5 years leading legal teams; Some US experience a plus
- Excellent communication skills and networking abilities with internal and external contacts.
- A problem solver who is able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Experience as a leader and team player
- Ability to work well and communicate with all levels of staff and external customers
- Ability to work independently
This is a full-time permanent position available in our Toronto Head Office located at 3300 Bloor Street West.
- Analytical Skills
- Leadership Skills
|Where did you first learn about this position?