|Job Number - J0214-0033 - Full Time
||Chief Legal Officer & Corporate Secretary
||Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Posting Expiry Date (dd/mm/yyyy):
||Moneris’ vision: To be the leading provider of high-value innovative payment solutions.
As Canada’s largest provider of payment processing solutions, Moneris offers innovative payment services for over 350,000 merchants in every industry segment. Moneris provides the hardware, software and systems needed to improve business efficiencies and manage point-of-sale transactions.
Why work at Moneris?
We offer an innovative, high growth, fast-paced environment which can help you develop and prosper in your career. We offer an attractive Total Rewards compensation and benefits package that rewards excellence and retains top performers.
What Moneris offers you:
We will continually invest in the people and technologies that drive cost efficiencies and provide superior payment solutions to our customers. With that in mind, we strive to keep our employees challenged, satisfied and confident which contributes to the overall success of Moneris.
Are you ready for the Moneris difference? We are looking for you to:
• Join a dynamic work environment
• Apply your creativity
• Work for a company that operates with integrity
• Be challenged
• Work in a team-focused environment
• Have Fun
Position Title: Chief Legal Officer & Corporate Secretary
Reporting to the President and CEO, you will be an integral member of Moneris’ Executive team and a trusted adviser to the Board of Directors, assessing and advising on legal risks and providing advice and leadership on corporate governance matters. In this exciting role as the company’s top legal executive, you will formulate strategies, lead and manage the legal team and allocate its resources in order to support all corporate endeavours.
Key Activities Include:
- Oversee corporate governance matters and serve as the company’s Corporate Secretary with accountability to the Board of Directors
- Provide legal advice to the Executive team to optimize assessment of legal risk and guide decision making
- Effectively manage the legal team and drive legal engagements to completion
- Provide leadership and oversight on all legal matters, including day-to-day management of commercial activities, deal flow and related transactions
- Assess and communicate legal risks
- Participate in corporate transactions including mergers and acquisitions
- Execute corporate legal strategy by organizing the best mix of internal and external legal services through the balance of equity and costs
- Provide guidance regarding applicable provincial and federal laws
- Provide advice on a variety of legal issues including IP rights, licensing, employment, insurance, banking, and other corporate matters
- Advise on legal matters involving ecommerce, privacy and online issues
- Working with external legal counsel when required, maintain delivery of legal services within budget
- Plan, allocate and manage financial budget by anticipating expenditures, accurately forecasting resource needs/costs and properly accounting for expenses to meet requirements and achieve fiscal responsibility
- Build strong external relationships by networking and communicating with external counsel and business experts, share legal expertise and best practices
- Serve as the foremost legal expert during complex issue resolution; identifying and utilizing innovative strategies to ensure successful commercial outcomes while also protecting against corporate liability
- Manage all corporate litigation files and oversee and instruct external counsel
- Manage whistleblowing occurrences and other investigations to successfully mitigate potential employee discrimination, wrongful dismissal, misconduct, corruption, and other legal exposures
- Lead with integrity, in personal work behaviours, decision-making and interpersonal interactions
- LL.B or JD degree and current membership with the Law Society of Upper Canada
- 15+ years’ legal corporate commercial practice experience (combination of law firm and corporate environments)
- Corporate Secretarial experience and experience leading Legal teams
- Payment, financial services and technology related experience are key assets
- US experience is an asset, but not required
- Problem solver with strong business judgment who is able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication skills and networking abilities
This is a full-time permanent position available in our Toronto Head Office located at 3300 Bloor Street West.
- Analytical Skills
- Leadership Skills
|Where did you first learn about this position?